1) Grate all three cheeses and set aside.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3) Cook pasta about half way in a large pot of salted, boiling water (about 5-7 minutes)
4) Make a roux: In a large pot over medium heat add 2 tablespoons butter and the flour. Cook, stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes or unitl the blonde and the raw flour smell is gone.
5) Pour milk onto the roux, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes until the sauce is thick.
6. Add grated nutmeg to the sauce and stir.
7. Remove from heat and add aged gouda, 1/2 cup grated gruyere and 1/2 cup fontina; stir until melted and smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Pour sauce over the pasta and mix well. Then pour into the prepared baking dish.
9. Sprinkle the remaining gruyere and fontina cheeses evenly over the top along with the 1/2 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
10. Bake until the top is golden about 25 to 30 minutes.
Wine, Recipes, Events, and all the latest from Bumgarner